Banner

Banner

[TRANSLATION] GD&TOP, "We want to fulfill our dream as rappers" (110203)

| Thursday, February 3

There are 4 title songs (translator’s note: it should be 5) and 150000 copies were pre-ordered.

‘If it is said that we used to produce music by our brain and then, this time, we are producing music with our heart. We want to fulfill our dream which is to accomplish something as rappers.’ It is how GDragon (23) and TOP (24)told us about their 1st duet album when we met in a coffee shop in Youeido.Rapper G-Dragon has a sharp and light voice while that of rapper TOP is solid and low. Their collaboration seems to be combining both tenor and bass in a choir

The popular rap made by BIGBANG is characterised by their unique styles. The two rappers mix electronic, disco and rock,etc music into their Hip Hop Bas. We can discover a wide range of music genres in which we can also see their strong confidence. 

Reporter: Their results are satisfactory too with ‘OH YEAH’, “High High ’, ‘Knock Out ’ and Don’t go home’ as their title songs at the moment which boosted the sales of the album to 150000 pieces
GDTOP: ‘what we think is the most satisfactory is we got the recognition from the people who once said we are ‘the rappers who only know how to talk’ and the underground rappers seem to have changed their minds about us too. We prove that even we are an idol band, we can still produce Hip Hop with high quality and those who said we are not in the mainstream of Hip Hop looks like have changed their minds as well. 

Reporter: Individuality, freedom and the ability of thinking deeply the strong characters brought forth by the two rappers in terms of their music, stage performance and fashion sense. This is why the further they walk, the more influential they are to the trend of the showbiz. They said,’It is a blessing that we can ponder over things individually.’ They are different from other idol band for they compose their songs and make pure music. 
GD: Everyday when I opened my eyes, I would go to the studio. I would have meals there too. When inspiration came, I would start my composing. If I could not get any inspiration at that moment, I would go to play games or dance. Although we had to produce the music overnight, the duration of time that we were completely concentrated on producing music was about more than an hour a day.
TOP: I don’t think it is a job. We would exchange ideas when we were writing the lyrics. I went into the studio whenever I wanted. If we went there individually, then there would be our own colours in the songs. Therefore, I felt quite free when producing the songs with GD.’ 


Reporter : But of course, it is not painless when they were making music.
GD: The inspiration did not come whenever I want… There were times that I did not get any even though I have tried my best to come up with some ideas. Those were the times that I thought making music was like going to work.
Reporter: No matter where these people are, be it their stages or fashion world, they would also change like the characters which are depicted in the TV dramas. The adjustment of the basic frame of the songs and the different stages they are on, coupled with the variation of the lighting systems, they always give us a different stage.
GDTOP: In the recent showbiz, those who like music and look good are not necessary the ones who win the game. If we cannot get the attention from the public, then no one would know us and then we will not know what to say neither. In order to satisfy the needs of people of seeing new stuff time from time, we have tried to show our performance in various styles which resemble the fashionable shows. We have always wanted to present new images to you.’ 

Reporter: They have broken the stereotype of people think about Rap album since they did not produce it out of others’expectation. When they want to promote their songs on some TV channels, they had been stopped, just like ‘Knock Out’ and ‘Don’t go home’. However, they do not have an intention to amend anything of the songs.
GD: We think that rather than getting the songs to be broadcasted on the TV channel, it is more important to produce music which can satisfy the wants of our fans.’ In fact, I think the channels have been unfair to us since the staff there thought I am that kind of people who do not obey my parents. In fact, the lyrics of ‘Knock Out’ was inspired by a TV drama called ‘My name is Kim Sam Soon’. I am thinking about why the drama could be broadcasted but not the song?’ 

Reporter: Although they did receive some good responses, they still need to accumulate experience in the different genres of music.
A famous DJ producer has participated in producing the Rap part which is kind of lazy in ‘Knock Out’. It is a song belongs to the slow Hip Hop. There are more distinctive features in other songs, like the dreamy rap in ‘Baby Goodnight’ and the rock style of singing in ‘Oh Mom’and so are in the Solo song of G Dragon called ‘What do you really want. The winging dancing rhythms have been added into the songs.

GDTOP: We want to change the perception of people who think ‘the music produced by two rappers must be something incomprehensible. Although we do have strong individual characters each but when perform in solo songs, there would be more colours to be seen. 

Reporter: It is said that rock music will be included in your new album. Their duet group will continue to promote until mid February. Then on 24th, they will release a brand new album. From 25th-27th, they would hold their concert ‘2011 BIG SHOW in Olympic Gymnasium Stadium which can house 40000 people. 
GDTOP: The album of BIGBANG has almost finished. There would be soft and fast-rhythmed songs but we will also try rock songs. Since the country seem to be a bit chaotic nowadays, even when people watch TV, they can just laugh at the ridiculous situations that we are now facing. Therefore, we want to make rock music in order to bring warmth and energy to them.

Reporter: The stages of BIGBANG are really interesting…GDTOP: We always immense ourselves into the songs when we are on the stages. Since we don’t want to change into another person when we are performing, that would be so silly.’ (laugh) “

Reporter: BIGBANG is now also enjoying huge popularity in Japan. When you end their promotion in Korea, you will then go to Japan from May to July.
GD: We treat the Japanese fans in the same way too. We want to make progresses. After staying there for three months, we would then come back to Korea and continue our activates until the end of the year. Many world-class producers are expected to participate in the making of the new album. We hope it can be a turning point to BIG BANG. 

Reporter: Have you forgotten how you struggled through to achieve their dreams the gains and losses that you have faced after they debuted in 2006.
TOP: It is the career that I use to convey my emotion. When I am sentimental in life, it seems that I have lost myself but I have found a brand new self after I went through the adventures.
GD: (He has started to appear on TV when he was young): (Laugh) I have been dreaming ever since I was small, I wanted to become a singer who can be welcomed by most of the people. If my friends who have helped me to achieve it see how I am now, I think they would feel satisfied. However, I have also somehow abandoned my original self, I was once a kind fox but now I am not like it anymore.


Source: naver + Translated by Rice@BigbangWORLD 
Edited by Trisya@BigbangWORLD 
(Please take OUT with full credits!^^)
Share
 

Copyright © 2010 BIGBANGWORLD